- 1 7 Best Wood Splitting Maul,Reviewed
- 1.1 1. Husqvarna 32″ Wooden Splitting Maul
- 1.2 2. Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul 36 Inch
- 1.3 3. Estwing Fireside Friend Axe – 14″ Wood Splitting Maul
- 1.4 4. Gransfors Bruk Splitting Maul 31.50 Inch Wood Splitting Axe
- 1.5 5. Truper 32415 12-Pound Splitting Maul
- 1.6 6. 1844 Helko Werk Germany Classic Scandinavian Splitting Axe
- 1.7 7. Mintcraft PRO 34004 Wood Splitting Maul
- 2 Bottom Line
Only a professional woodworker knows how much effort and precision it takes to split wood with perfection. And the biggest key-factor amidst the process is the splitting maul you’re using for the job.
Now, just with a glimpse into the market, you can easily get manipulated with tons of brands and models. Result? Wrong model for the wrong purpose.
To give you a hand in this regard, we’ve hand-picked 54 of splitting mauls and researched out the 7 best splitting maul for wood splitting. We’ve taken 5+ factors into consideration.
That being said, let’s get going-
|Husqvarna Splitting Maul||32"||Wooden|
|Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul||36"||Metal|
|Estwing Fireside Friend Axe||14"||Metal|
|Gransfors Bruk Splitting Maul||31.50"||Wooden|
|Truper 32415 Splitting Maul||27"||Metal|
|1844 Helko Werk Splitting Maul||31"||Wooden|
|Mintcraft PRO 34004 Maul||8.5"||Fiberglass|
7 Best Wood Splitting Maul,Reviewed
1. Husqvarna 32″ Wooden Splitting Maul
If you’ve been into carpentry and woodworking for a while, there is no chance that you’ve not heard of Husqvarna. As the top pick of the list, we’ve got 32″ Wooden Splitting Maul from the inventory Husqvarna.
First of all, this product is designed for splitting chunks of firewood with a hard striking force. The blade and neck are designed in such a way so that it can be used both as an individual sledge or in company with a splitting wedge.
Instead of metal-made, bulky handles Husqvarna had been smart enough to equip it with an American Hickory handle. The handle is 32 inches in length, and that makes it a perfect one for users of any height.
However, if you find this 32″ version not a right fit for your purpose, there is a wide range of options to chose from. Starting from ultra-compact 13″ handle, you can choose the best one within your requirement.
Not to let you end up with an accidental incident, there is a protective cover. Another safety precaution that we’ve noticed is the extended bottom part of the handle. If you deal with a wet hand, it won’t come off at all.
- 32″ American Hickory made a wooden handle.
- Can be used both as a sledge or with splitting wedge.
- Sharp, forged steel made a cutting blade.
- Sleek blade geometry to penetrate even the hardest of the wood.
- Available in handle sizes from 13 inches to 32 inches.
- Perfect for both tall and short users.
- No groove or grip on the handle section.
2. Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul 36 Inch
The product on the podium right now is the infamous Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul 36 Inch. It’s basically picked up in this list because of a few extraordinary features, among which, the blade geometry is the notable one.
We will break down the features and benefits below-
First of all, let’s have a closer look at the smart and sleek blade design. If you’ve been into woodworking for quite a while, you might know that these kinds of blades offer the best penetration into logs.
The blade material is heat-treated and forged steel. To provide it with even more durability, there is a rust-resistant coating. Definitely, this gives you a promise of years of durability.
Moving forward, this maul contains a shock control mechanism patented by Fiskars themselves. Through this mechanism, the shocks and vibrational impacts won’t reach your hands that much. To be exact, this body is able to reduce the shocks by 2x compared to any similar splitting mauls.
At the bottom section of the maul, it’s the soft-gripped handle that we want to talk about. The long and sleek handle comes with a sculpted profile which fits the shape of any kinds of hands.
- Super-optimized blade structure for better penetration.
- Patented shock-preventive technology.
- Deduces 2x shocks comparing to any other models.
- Soft grip handle with a sculpted design.
- The blade is made of heat-treated steel.
- Doesn’t get affected by rust even after years of use.
- The 36 inches handle is a good fit for tall users, but not for short users.
3. Estwing Fireside Friend Axe – 14″ Wood Splitting Maul
Before finishing up the discussion of the last product, the only problem was that the model was the length. But at this point, we’ve got a model which overcomes the issue. Estwing Fireside Friend Axe – 14″ Wood Splitting Maul is a well-structured splitting maul for short people specially.
The one-piece structure is the first thing you’ll notice about this product. As you know, one piece of mauls is popular for their unbelievable durability. We’re certain that this is the case with this model as well.
As you’re dealing with a short-in-length maul, the impacts and vibrations are likely to react quickly to your hands. But Estwing had been smart enough in this case. There is a comfortable leather grip with a hand sanded texture.
Apart from the cutting capacity, the protection of the cutting edge is also an important factor. Estwing had been outstanding once again in this case. They’ve provided a heavy duty sheath made of ballistic nylon. This will provide protection to the cutting edge of Estwing Fireside Friend Axe – 14″ Wood Splitting Maul.
Lastly, it’s the blade. Although the blade has a pretty ordinary geometry, the metal strength is no less than any top-rated mauls. It’s made of stainless steel, and the steel is forged for enhanced durability. We’re not certain about the heat treatment, but we’ve got positive reports about the cutting capacity of the blade.
- 14″ length, perfect for short users and using with one-hands.
- Stainless steel made forged blade structure.
- Heavy duty sheath to protect the cutting edge.
- Comfortable, textured and shock-resistive grip.
- Available in two different colors.
- Weighted wedge design for better and faster cutting.
- The blade metal is not heat treated.
- Not a good fit for tall users and large tree limbs.
4. Gransfors Bruk Splitting Maul 31.50 Inch Wood Splitting Axe
It’s not all the time when you have to deal with thick and softwood, which are pretty hard to split. Sometimes, it’s the stubborn and super hard chunks of wood, and you need to be a real axeman here.
To assist you in dealing such cases of wood splitting, presenting the Gransfors Bruk Splitting Maul 31.50 Inch Wood Splitting Axe. Here are the features and specs of the product-
The blade structure is quite thin and concave at the same time. So it can cut quickly and easily into even the hardest kind of woods. As you’re done with entering the blade into any wood, just a push will split the wood apart. You don’t have to put any extra effort after that.
Worried about striking a wedge with this maul? Well, you don’t have to. Because this product has special preparation of beveled corner designs for that.
Let’s focus on the handle now. The handle of this product is made of regular meta, but with the protection of a steel collar. This collar will do the duty of protecting the axe from coming off, in case you’re using it with a wet palm. To provide with even more grip, there are some circular grooves on the lower bottom of the product.
Comparing to the conventional axes and mauls, the size of the handle is quite long. So, we can say that it’s more of a tall user’s thing as long as it comes to usability.
- A concave, thin blade to deal with hardwood splitting.
- A strong and sturdy poll with beveled corner design.
- Protective steel collar for extra grip.
- Comfortable and even firmer grip with the circular grooves.
- Quite heavy in weight, providing the more striking force.
- Contains a manual Axe book to instruct you in using.
- Quite a pricey splitting maul.
5. Truper 32415 12-Pound Splitting Maul
The splitting maul we’re up to right now is called Truper 32415 12-Pound Splitting Maul, and it’s quite unique in design. Don’t come into a decision about its unique design until we’re done with explaining it’s features and specs.
It contains a 27 inches long handle, which makes it a good fit for users with mid-level height. The handle is made of strong and sturdy steel, which is pretty much heavy duty.
To provide with shades of safety, there is a handle guard made of rubber. No matter how hard you strike it for splitting wood, it won’t come off your hands and create accidental issues.
Now, let’s come to the point of cutting edge and blade. The maul has a drop forged bevel edged striking edge. With it’s thick and short blade design, it can do two things together at one strike- entering into the wood and splitting it off. So you don’t have to put extra effort to split the wood.
The weight sometimes is both advantages and disadvantages of a splitting maul. While lightweight axes are easy to carry, but hard to deal with heavy workloads. On the other hands, heavier mauls have the opposite benefits and disadvantages.
Now, look at the 12 pounds Truper 32415 12-Pound Splitting Maul, it’s neither too heavy nor too lightweight. So it’s a complete win-win situation for any woodworker and carpenter.
- 27 inches long handle, perfect for any user.
- 12 pounds of medium-lightweight.
- Thick and angular blade design for heavy striking forces.
- Rubber gripped handle for providing safe handling.
- Pretty much budget-friendly in terms of price.
- The absence of a thin blade might be an issue.
In this discussion regarding splitting mauls, the weight of the mauls had been always an issue. If you get to deal with heavy splitting works, you need to carry a heavy maul. On the other hand, lightweight mauls are easy to use and carry, but hard to work on heavy, thick workpieces.
To meet both ends, we’ve got 1844 Helko Werk Germany Classic Scandinavian Splitting Axe on the podium. Let’s talk it features out-
First of all, it’s a Germany-made heavy-duty splitting maul, where German C50 grade carbon steel is used to create its blade. If you’re familiar with this metal, you should have known that it’s famous for its durability.
This blade might not have any sheath protection, but the C50 steel metal actually doesn’t need one.
The next part into our consideration is the handle. Unlike many metal handle mauls, this one is with a wooden handle. Which is pretty beneficial. The material used to make this handle is A-grade American Hickory, and the finish is made of Linseed oil. Together, the handle turns to be a state of the art beauty.
Let’s get back to the weight factor now. The head section has a weight of only 5.5lbs, and the handle section has its weight of 2lbs. In together, it weighs only 7.5lbs, which is extraordinary. You will have no hardship to work with it for a long time, and you can still make hard splitting works possible.
- A-grade American Hickory made handle.
- The blade is made of German C50 steel.
- Linseed oiled finish of the handle.
- Contains a leather sheath with vegetable tanned.
- Weighs only 7.5lbs, easy to carry around.
- No grip protection in the handle.
7. Mintcraft PRO 34004 Wood Splitting Maul
We are about to finish our list with the last pick of the array of 7. At this point, we’ve got the newly released Mintcraft PRO 34004 Wood Splitting Maul.
First of all, the most extraordinary part of this splitting maul is the handle material. Where we’ve seen metal and wood to be the regular handle material, this piece has got fiberglass made handle. The benefit of a fiberglass handle is, it will be super durable, and will provide a good striking force as well.
Instead of regular straight handle design, this one has got a curvy handle. There are two benefits to it. First of all, it will be super easy to grip, and it enhances the visual beauty of the splitting axe.
The cutting blade and the cutting edge are another two praiseworthy part of the axe. The edge is sharpened for optimal penetrating into the wood, and the design of the cutting blade is also sleek.
Overall, the steel made the blade and the fiberglass made handle gives together a promise of years of durability. Although the length of this axe is not a good fit for tall users, but as long as short and mid-level users are concerned, Mintcraft PRO 34004 Wood Splitting Maul is a good one to go for.
- Strong, and curvy fiberglass made handle.
- Forged and sharpened cutting edge.
- The blade geometry is a perfect one for penetrating woods.
- An extended area at the bottom of the handle for no slipping off.
- Weighs only 4.5 pounds.
- A perfect fit for short users.
- Carriable with no extra hassle.
- Not a good fit for splitting hardwood.
Thanks for being till the very end of the best wood splitting maul for wood splitting. Hopefully, you’ve hand-picked your favorite model and went up for your next woodworking mission.