You need to create intricate shapes for doing fine woodworking or creative DIY project. A jigsaw is a master of tools that useful in cutting complex shapes and detailed cut for the DIYers and carpenters.
You can create beautiful curves and straight cut in woods or other materials such as aluminum, laminate.PVC, metal, and ceramics if you know how to use a jigsaw.
This article will teach you how to use jigsaw correctly and tips for different types of cut that will help you to use jigsaw all type of your projects.
- 1 Before Using a Jigsaw
- 2 How to Use Jigsaw to cut Plywood, Metal, and Tile
- 3 How To Make Different Types of Cut With A jigsaw
- 4 Top 3 Most Popular Jigsaw Brands
Materials And Tools You Need
Before Using a Jigsaw
As a reminder, the process produces dust and debris. You must cover the floor and furniture in the room with tarpaulins that allow you to recover the sawdust after cutting. Do not forget to equip yourself with a mask, goggles, and earplugs to protect your face, eyes, and ears.
Do not use a jigsaw in the presence of children, and be very careful with the blade, especially at the end of the cut.
How to Use Jigsaw to cut Plywood, Metal, and Tile
As you may already know without right blades jigsaw is nothing but a cutting tool. So the question is which jigsaw blade to use and how to select a right jigsaw blade for the right materials?
Here is your answer
Select the Right Blade to the Cut Material
Whether you want to cut PVC or wood, you should not choose the blade lightly. Each material needs a specific blade to saw. Its teeth and its dimensions distinguish each blade.
Types of jigsaw blade joints: U-shaped or T-shaped. Select depending on your jigsaw model.
Teeth per inch (TPI): The fewer the number of teeth per inch the more aggressive the cut. On the other hand, more TPI of your blade you have cleaner cut but it going to take more time to cut.10-12(12 TPI is good for curvy cut) teeth per inch is good enough for a clean cut of wood.
The metal cutting blade has more TPI (32 Teeth per inch) than the wood cutting blade.
For cut Laminate select the down-cut blade (teeth are pointing down)
Install the Jigsaw Blade
There is no need to be a professional carpenter to set the blade. You need a key or a screwdriver to follow the manufacturer’s guidance in the user manual. Note that for recent devices, just a push lever/clamp and the blade is fixed alone.
Prepare the Work Piece
A pro always draws his cutting features. So, Mark your cut line. To do this, measure the piece, then mark your line of cut with the pen or the pencil.
Before sawing, the workpiece must be well supported on your work surface to prevent possible accidents. For that, 2 solutions:
- Hold your piece in a vise or with a clamp.
- Hold it firmly in your hand on a table.
Saw Now the Piece
- Place the blade in the center of the cutting line.
- Start the jigsaw at minimum speed. Choose the minimum speed if you are not used to using this type of tool.
- Make a slight notch that will serve as a guide for cutting.
- Increase speed.
- Cut out your piece following the cut line you have marked.
Do not look at the blade to cut well on your line. Use the viewfinder to follow the cut line. You should use the slower speed for metal and PVC than wood. Do not touch the blade after sawing, because of it hot.
Maintain the Jigsaw
After use, maintain it regularly. It is advisable to gently remove the residue that clung to it after each use. Grease the blades with a specific oil to keep their performance well.
How To Make Different Types of Cut With A jigsaw
A jigsaw is used to cut curves, holes and many others cut. Now we will learn how to make different cuts with a jigsaw.
Rectangle Cut and Square-Cut with Jigsaw
- Drill four corners and make a four pilot hole on cutting line.
- Make sure the hole thicker than the blade.
- Use clamps and set your rip fence firmly.
- Start sawing along the line from one pilot hole to another pilot hole.
Cut a Circle or hole with a Jigsaw
- Mark the center of the board and attach a screw.
- Tie a string to the screw and attach a pencil to the end.
- Draw the outline of the circle with a pencil.
- Drill a hole in the path outside the circle.
- Insert the jigsaw blade and position the saw for cutting.
- Tie the string between the screw and the saw.
- Slowly perform the sawing.
Make Straight Rip Cuts
- Measure the distance between the edge of the blade and the base of the blade.
- Use that measurement to properly place the fence.
- Hold the jigsaw, cut the wood steadily and get a clean straight cut line.
Cutting Curves in Wood with a Jigsaw
- Draw on the piece the cut line with a pencil, a compass and a ruler.
- Drill a hole close to the marked line, large enough that blade can insert and turn.
- Saw with the jigsaw to the edge of the hole and continue cutting slowly along the line.
- If you don’t see the line change your hand or whole position.
Top 3 Most Popular Jigsaw Brands
A jigsaw is a tool that allows you to achieve all kinds of cuts. It is the ideal equipment to carry out various DIY tasks. If you buy for the first time, you risk being confused by the countless products on sale now. We will offer several reference brands to help you make the right choice.
Bosch is the brand that created the first jigsaw model. Therefore it is a pioneer in the manufacture of such tools. And the company is continuously improving the products it offers to its customers. Thus, the realization of the cuts is greatly facilitated, and the accuracy of the work is ensured thanks to this equipment.
To meet different needs, Bosch offers a wide range of jigsaws such as corded, cordless. Each model has its attractive features. Therefore, the user can find the device that corresponds to the intervention to be performed.
All Bosch saws are known for their quality of manufacture. These products are robust, effective and can last over time.
Makita is one of the most well-known brands in the field of tooling. The brand has gained notoriety thanks to positive reviews on its products. Indeed, it designs efficient equipment that meets the needs of users.
There is a wide selection of Makita jigsaws on the market today. All these models have their specificity. They are made to be manageable, practical and especially powerful. Some wired models are compelling and guarantee unlimited use. To satisfy all its customers, it offers a varied range of saws.
This is the reliable brand for the design of the necessary equipment of woodworking and gardening. It continues to bring innovations to its products to make them more and more successful.
Black & Decker covers all areas of work and offers sanders, drills, chainsaws and pruners, screwdrivers and more.
The brand also manufactures several models of the jigsaw that vary according to their power. They are reliable devices and particularly powerful in the realization of all types of work. The brand sells, among other things, table saws and circular saws. These are tools of high quality that can perform all kinds of interventions.
There are also many reliable jigsaw brands remaining all overworlds. I can’t wrap up without mention their name such as DEWALT,TACKLIFE, PORTER-CABLE, etc.
If it helps you then share with your friends