Cutting, chopping, splitting and stacking wood are the steps of a job that matters too many people because this work has a practical purpose that will benefit your whole family in the upcoming winter. And it is the universal truth.
In this article, you will find some several tips and tricks related to split your firewood.
Some Precautions to Split Your Firewood
Any type’s o green wood has a humidity of about 50%. The primary function is to dry the wood to reduce this significant amount of moisture present before using it.
Fortunately, the wood dries quickly (average drying time not more than a year though it depends on the type of your firewood). To facilitate and considerably reduce the drying time, here are some precautions to take like:
‣ Split the wood as soon as possible because only splitting can help to reduce moisture percentage properly and quickly.
‣ Cut, split and dry the wood in spring before growing new leaves on trees.
‣ Split the wood into small logs. Small logs dry faster than long ones. The evaporation is 10 to 15% higher. Besides, the performance of small logs is higher during combustion.
‣ Split the wood leaving as little bark as possible since it acts as a shell and retains moisture. The less bark there is the more moisture will evaporate.
‣ Leave your wood outside and undercover for drying but don’t get your firewood wet in the rain.
How to Split Wood?
It is easier to split the wood when it has been properly cut. Waiting too long makes your wood harder and harder .if once it is getting hard probably, it will be tough to handle. The best time to split hardwood species is in winter when temperatures are negative.
Split the Wood with the Axe Step By Step
There are several methods of splitting wood. The classic way is to use a good maul or axe,(read our top 10 wood splitting axe reviews by click here) and the procedure as follows:
– First, install your log, this one must be heavy and stable enough to accommodate your piece of firewood and do not shake when you hit hard.
– Keep a reasonable distance from the log.the position must be comfortable.
– Take the axe in your hand, one hand ready with the tip of the axe (metal part of an axe) and the other in the middle. Now rise up the axe behind your head and Keep your arms elongate.
-Do not hesitate before hit hard.
Choose A Chopping Block Suitable For Splitting Wood
Log selection is essential; it makes your job easier. A good log must be stable and have a proper height.
All of these elements provide an excellent basis for proper cracking. Another idea is to place the log on a hard floor – so that the energy impact of an axe.
How Long Should Your Block Be?
This length of the block is necessary to save you from possible pain in the back. Be alert; the length of the logs also to be taken into account. If the logs are too long, the speed will not be enough to crack them correctly.
The height is ideal when the sharp edge of the axe splits the log at an almost straight angle to yourself.
Still confused? Read the remarkable article about Perfect Splitting Block.
The Basic Rule For Log Selection
In General split logs length should be about 30-40 cm, the log must not exceed the height of the knees.